b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mighty

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <if AT math.bu.edu>, <jimstinehart AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mighty
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:36:59 -0700

Dear Jim,

You are making the mistake of making "Mamre" to refer to something in the
environs of Bethel by using the names of other cities near Bethel. There is no
Biblical evidence for doing so. This is an assumption that you have tried to
propagate on this list for several years now. It is still found wanting. The
"oaks of Mamre" are always presented to be near Hebron. Hebron is NOT in the
north or central Israel either.

Regarding the finds of the LMLK seals found in the Shephelah and in Hebron.
Hebron was the seat of government of David for his first seven years. It was
one
of the major royal cities of the Israelite monarchy. It would also make sense
for the LMLK seals to be more in number in the Shephelah because of its
closeness to Jerusalem and also to the Northern Kingdom as well.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III