b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] all-lofty el

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] all-lofty el
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 17:28:58 -0200

>>> De: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
Cópia: Hebrew Forum <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Para: JimStinehart AT aol.com
Data: Tue, 10 May 2011 18:43:50 -0400
Assunto: Re: [b-hebrew] Mighty
I don't think there is no Hebrew root meaning "mighty". The single
consonant Hebrew root L represents elevation or loftiness, as in the
words EL, UL, OL, (LEH, LUL, etc.

isaac,

let's see your examples....
(UL,(OL, (LEH have a second consonant there, dont they?
i do agree that (L has to do with loftiness. but not )L.
LUL has to do with eggs, not loftiness.
EL may be equally explained as mighty.
so, not much to back the theory.

on the other hand, the expressions YESH LE-EL YADY "it is in my power" and
EYAL=power
clearly do not point at loftiness. nor do ALIM=vioilent and ALELAY="gewallt",
woe me.

EL and its variants are documented in strong. and in other semitic dialects,
and even
in coptic. clearly, though, nothing you would like to acknowledge.
and its inversion: LE)EH, means fatigue, lack of power.

see also:
http://strongsnumbers.com/hebrew/410.htm
http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/heb/view.cgi?number=0415
http://www.behindthename.com/name/eyal
http://strongsnumbers.com/hebrew/353.htm
strong 352

BOHAIRIC - ENGLISH DICTIONARY
- [ Traduzir esta página ]
Endurer of struugle. aylut/c = ayl/t/c - Strong person. aylwvoroc = aylovoroc
- Endurer of struggle. ......

best
nir cohen