b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Reply to Pere Porta

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: Sidney <sidlee AT charter.net>, B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Reply to Pere Porta
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 00:11:03 +0000

Sidney,

You really need to do some serious study into the Hebrew language and the
Masoretes. You're working on a number of faulty assumptions that have
coloured your 'analysis'. The Masoretes did not invent vowels. They invented
a system for notating the vowels that Hebrew as a language generically has
but which were historically not written in manuscripts. The vowels are not
fakes or frauds. The vowels are an integral part of Hebrew, just as they are
for any Semitic language. There is no conspiracy going on here.

Secondly, I can't understand half of what you wrote. The 'analysis' you
offered is impenetrable. I don't see how anyone can interact with you.
Suffice it to say, your comment, "The Jews claim that AB[e]L = "Abel" - and
this has corrupted hundreds of verses" is not only practically nonsensical,
exposing a serious deficiency in your understanding of Hebrew, it's also
bordering on libellous, and is unwanted on this forum. If you're here to
sling mud, grind your own axe, or proselytise, rather than interact and learn
about Hebrew, then I suggest that B-Hebrew is not the forum for you. You'd do
well to re-evaluate your motives for being on this forum. You're welcome to
stay if you're here in a spirit of congeniality, academic freedom, and
epistemic humility.

GEORGE ATHAS
Co-Moderator, B-Hebrew
(Sydney, Australia)