b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh, gemination, Hannah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh, gemination, Hannah
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:24:02 -0400

I am convinced that the LXX occasionally confused the look-alike Hebrew R and D letters, that they did not read correctly certain letters, or combination of letters, that they often misunderstood the meaning of the text, and that they used a corrupt and smudged original manuscript. So, it is well conceivable that they also confused the H and the X letters. On the sounding of the ayin, it may have depended on who they consulted. Occasionally they may have deemed to hear it as a deep choking sound, which they put down as a "gayin". Their atrocious treatment of Hebrew names makes (unfortunately!) their work nigh useless for the study of the ancient Hebrew speech.

Isaac Fried, Boston University