b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Noun in -WT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Noun in -WT
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:09:56 -0700

Pere:

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> My proposal, Karl, points only --at least in a first step-- to nouns
> ending in -WT (read: -oot in the English system) and within the boundaries
> of, so to say, basic nouns as those I brought in my mail.

Oh, I see, this is not a question about Biblical Hebrew, as it is expressed
in Tanakh.

> We could deal, for instance, with the following issues:
>
> 1. Why some have shewa in the first syllable while others have qamats.

You’ll have to ask the Masoretes, and study the dialect of a thousand years
after Biblical Hebrew ceased to be the first language of the people. The
same with your other questions.

> 2. How they form their plural abolute.
> 3. Those with qamats, do they keep this qamats in the declension?
> 4. Which meaning they developed starting from the basic meaning of the
> stem.
> 5. Why some stems gave a noun in -WT while other stems of the same type did
> not.
>
> And so on.
>
> This could become a discussion that could be of interest for many -or at
> least a relevant part- of the members of this list, methinks.

You may be right that it is of interest to some on this list, but that means
that I’ll have to bow out of the discussion, as I am interested in Biblical
Hebrew for which even Masoretic Hebrew is a distraction.

I tried years ago to master the Mastoretic points, but gave up over a decade
ago when I realized that they are wrong as far as meaning is concerned often
enough as to be untrustworthy.

So with a friendly wave, I’ll have to bid adieu to this discussion.