b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why not ")ULBAN"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why not ")ULBAN"?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:16:33 -0700

Pere:

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> by "CV" you mean Consonant + Vowel?
>
> Pere Porta
>
> Yes.

But I just did something that I should have done earlier, namely look up the
uses of the verb LBN in Tanakh. It is used all but once as a hiphil (the one
exception is a hitpael) with a meaning that is best translated as a passive
in English. Remember, translation ≠ meaning in the original language, and in
this case the active meaning in Biblical Hebrew comes out as a passive in
Indo-European languages. Just a quirk in translation.

Hope this helps.