b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Oak Tree" in Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Oak Tree" in Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 00:25:23 -0400

George Athas:

I would appreciate your opinion, and anyone else's opinion, on the
relationship between )L and )YL. They both seem to connote "mighty". Does
one derive from the other? Or are they two different spellings of the same
word? Or are they two completely different words? Different lexicons offer
different opinions as to those questions. Why are there so many cases, like
the word for "rams" in the plural, where the root seemingly can be either )L
or )YL? Presumably )L-N and )L-WN are the same word, with the latter simply
being plene spelling. But what is the relationship, if any, between )L-N or
)L-WN, and )YL-WN?

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois