b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Hireq & sere

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Hireq & sere
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:29:59 -0400

1. This faint doubling holds for every consonant between two vowels, and it has nothing to do with the presence or the absence of a dagesh. It is present in HIZMAN-NU, as well as in HIZMIYN-NU.

2. I am sorry, but I can not even remotely believe that this dagesh is "caused by the assimilation of two consonants into one".

3. There is a dagesh in the N of LANU, as expected after a patax.

4. I am sorry, but I can not even remotely believe that the ancient Hebrews deliberately doubled in their mouth a singly written consonant. Present day Hebrew speakers and readers don't do it.

Isaac Fried, Boston University