b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Can you translate masculine feminine rioleplayers in Is 62:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Doug Belot" <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Forum <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, chavoux AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Can you translate masculine feminine rioleplayers in Is 62:5
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 20:24:21 -0500

"Marry' is, of course, but a euphemism, there was no "marriage" in biblical times. A man took a woman and she was his. The prophet is raising here the image of the "sons" of Zion coming upon and making love to their desired, XEPCI-BAH חפציבה, land.
The verb BAAL means 'come upon, possess'. This translation is interesting in the sense of seeing BAAL as equivalent to PAAL, somewhat in the sense of Isaiah 54:5.
It appears to me that the root B(L essentially means 'tall, high, lofty'. This is possibly the meaning of the canaanite god BAAL: 'the doer'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University