b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Can you translate masculine feminine rioleplayers in Is 62:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • To: Doug Belot <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Can you translate masculine feminine rioleplayers in Is 62:5
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 02:06:46 +0200

Shalom Doug

2011/3/9 Doug Belot <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>:
> Hi , I wonder could anyone help me with gender words in Is 62:5 , "And your
> sons will marry you" , does hebrew demand this be "sons marry you" , it
> seems some translation alter this to "build" you or some such that does not
> suggest a "marry" need be involved or indeed the "sons" .
>From the context it would seem that "sons marry you" would indeed be
the correct translation:
"For (as) a young man marries a girl, your sons will marry you, and as
a bridegroom rejoice over (his) bride your God will rejoice over you."

The only way I can see a translation with "build" in this verse, is if
it is assumed that some textual error occurred and a "new" text is
recontructed. Of course, some translations use the Septuagint or other
old translations in addition to the Masoretic text, so they could get
it from there as a "textual variant". Just my opinion. :-)

Regards
Chavoux Luyt