b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 46:10 הרפו - HRPW

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 46:10 הרפו - HRPW
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 20:02:54 +0000

Hi Matt!

I think 'stop struggling' (I assume that's what you meant, or else I have no
idea what 'stuggling' is) is perhaps a paraphrase rather than a translation
as such. However, it's certainly in the ballpark of the what the word means.
It approximates the meaning of colloquial English's use of the word 'relax'.
As an example, I quote Frankie Goes To Hollywood: 'Relax, don't do it when
you want to go through it.' The meaning is to desist from something,
demonstrated by a calm posture or attitude.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au