b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] qamac

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] qamac
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:50:21 -0300

sebastien, pere,

sebastien's example includes one noun and one verb in the past tense.

i vaguely remember that verbs in past and future follow one
set of nikud rules plus syllable stress, and all the rest
(including verbs in present and nouns) follows a second set.

pere, could this explain the difference?

nir cohen

----------

>>> Pere,

million thanks for your explanations, very clear in this particular case. As
I'm still a beginner in biblical Hebrew, may I ask if there is a general rule
saying when we should pronounce qamats and when we should pronounce
qamats-hatuph? I thought that in every closed, unaccented syllabe, it was
qamats-hatuph. But I see that there are many exceptions and cases where it is
not the case...

Thanks again,

Sébastien Louis

  • [b-hebrew] qamac, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat., 02/28/2011