b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] isaiah 50:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] isaiah 50:4
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:53:14 -0300

karl,

let me just suggest one more possibility, for what it's worth.

LW), related to mouthpiece/throat, might be an unknown word
connected with language, as synonymous to tongue.
this, i think, is evident in arabic, where the word for language is
lu)a written with soft ). maybe also from the hebrew word L)Z.
although i still do not understand this verse, nor the exact form of
L)WT, i note its proximity in this phrase to tongue=language.

thus, a possible punctuation:

LESHON LIMUDIM LADA`AT, LE`UT/LO'UT ET-YAEF DABER:

using LADA'AT="to let know(?)", "DABER"=to speak(infinitive), we get
the following very free translation:

tongue to spread knowledge, language to speak with the weak(unmotivated??).

just a long shot.

nir cohen