b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 50:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Cherney,Kenneth" <cherneyk AT wls.wels.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 50:4
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 13:57:04 -0600

When LXX (en kairwi) construes it as related to 't, "time,” in my opinion the
translator was guessing. I agree that it is a (maybe dialectical) variant of
‘ws, “to come and help.” The t/s interchange is common(both are
alveolars), and the meaning appears again in MHeb and fits the Isaiah context
well. I’ll stipulate, however, that Joel 4:11 isn’t strong support.

Personally I find a derivation from “to answer” less convincing, since it
seems to require a sort of combination of consonant confusion and
haplography, and it's less clear why the "weary" would need "answering"
rather than "helping."

Ken Cherney