b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 3 letter root preceeded by two

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 3 letter root preceeded by two
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 02:11:00 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,

I was reading the wikipedia entry on arabic and came across this curious
tidbit, any comments?

"With research scientists realized that the triconsonantal root consists
of: 1) two beginning sounds - a rootcell and 2) the third sound which is
a precision element. I.e.: the rootcell f-r has the meaning of scattering in
space. Then, f-r-g means cleaving, f-r-d - making separate, f-r-s - tearing
to pieces; the rootcell f-q means the main idea of absence, so: f-q-d means
loosing, f-q-r means poverty and so on. "

Shavua Tov,

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA