b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] no to aspect?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] no to aspect?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 18:41:59 -0300

isaac,

thanks for your clarification. your point is well taken.

i understand and accept your example in this spirit. technically, however
(correct me if i'm wrong)
this example is etymological (i.e. whether  "tbaaru" here means "ignite" or
"sustain") rather than
grammatical, since there is only one imperative form in BH which therefore
conveys no information
additional to the verb it carries. if so, can you provide another example
where grammar (preferably
tense) alone,  and not etymology,  has caused a similar  controversy?

nir cohen

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 22:16:20 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote