b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] qatal/yqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] qatal/yqtol
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 19:39:36 -0300

shalom chavoux

[how do you manage to pronounce your name in afrikaans??? -
dont bother to answer...]

sorry if i misinterpreted you, and i am glad we are on the same side!

i must agree with you that wayqtol indeed cannot be used in the present tense,
and maybe qatal could. never thought of it before...
nevertheless, in my discussion i restricted the situation to actions
done (maybe i should have insisted: terminated) in the past,
excluding such cases.

> (and both katal and wayiktol is perfectum while both yiktol and
> wakatal is imperfectum)

are we really on the same side?

i still cannot understand this statement. can you
explain it in gen 1:10? what justified the use of one imperfectum
tense and one perfectum tense there, if both actions are equally complete?

regards
nir cohen

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 12:43:14 +0200, Chavoux Luyt wrote