b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem - spelling, in historical perspective

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem - spelling, in historical perspective
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 07:02:39 -0800

Uri:

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> Good point. Thre are thousands of textual
> variations between the DSS and what became the
> Consonantal MT. And scribal mistakes occurred in both
> sources.
>
> Of course, not all texts, in all books, were
> found among the Dead Sea Scrolls.

It is my understanding that all but one book is found among the DSS,
however, many of the books are so fragmentary, i.e. that only a small
portion of the book survived, that my specific questions may not be answered
in the surviving texts.

> BTW, where did you get the program that counts
> occurrences of individual words in the HB?

Years ago I got Online Bible Macintosh version, first to run under OS 8 and
9, later another version to run under Macintosh OS X. It was a free
download. As far as I know, Online Bible no longer supports the program. In
the latest version, I had to learn to work around a few bugs.

The program is rather rudimentary, the text has an idiosyncratic encoding
that is unpointed only. But I continue to use it because 1) it allowed me to
use a Hebrew font to read the text, instead of the square Aramaic font, and
2) the idiosyncratic encoding allows for searches of individual words,
combinations of words or phrases that is easier than other programs I have
tried. The number is of the number of verses where the result is found, not
the number of occurrences.