b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem - spelling, in historical perspective

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <jimstinehart AT aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem - spelling, in historical perspective
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 18:07:04 -0800

Dear Jim,

The name is Melchizedek, King of Salem, Hebrew is UMaLKiZeDeK MeLeK SHALEM,
וּמַלְכִּיצֶ֙דֶק֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ שָׁלֵם, even with the consonants only.
The phrase MeLeK SHALEM is a noun = title with geographic location. You are
also making the mistake that just because one is a priest, then one cannot be
a king. In this instance the text clearly shows that Melchizedek was not only
King of Salem, but also a priest of the Most High God (El-Elyon). Abram would
know of this. Giving tithes to Melchizedek, a priest of the Most High God, is
things? No, it does not. Move on.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III