b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem - spelling, in historical perspective

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: <jimstinehart AT aol.com>, "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem - spelling, in historical perspective
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 22:37:33 -0600

From: <jimstinehart AT aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 9:35 PM
To: <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>; <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>; <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III:

1. You wrote: “The name is Melchizedek, King of Salem….”

I disagree. This priest’s name, rather, is “(My Deity Is) King of Righteous Victory, King of Safety”.

And I disagree. In Genesis 14:18 וּמַלְכִּי־צֶדֶק מֶלֶךְ שָׁלֵם meleky tsedeq ("Zedeq is lord") king of Shalem (certainly before the common era).

Consider the following factors that support my view:

(i) There is no place called Shalem prior to the common era.

Not true. It is called "Shalem" at Genesis 14:18 (see above) and in numerous inscriptions.

(ii) There is no basis for viewing $LM as being an abbreviation of “Jerusalem”.

Of course there is. "The City of Shalem" (uru-shalem) would be called simply Shalem and it is in Genesis, inscriptions by the Ramessides and at Mari.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
San Antonio, TX