b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] On the history of Hebrew YIQTOL and the Hebrew verb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] On the history of Hebrew YIQTOL and the Hebrew verb
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:24:17 +0200

Shalom Arnaud

> This is the third time I request you to explain how you handle the pair:
> 1. Ann walked the dog one hour ago
> 2. Ann was walking the dog one hour ago
In my mother tongue (Afrikaans), there is no difference between the
two. If I had to translate either sentence, it would be exactly the
same in Afrikaans: "Ann het 'n uur terug met die hond gestap"
Is there any reason to suppose that Hebrew would distinguish between
these two cases? (If I understand English correctly, both would
describe the exact same occurence).

Regards
Chavoux Luyt