b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] On the history of Hebrew YIQTOL and the Hebrew verb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] On the history of Hebrew YIQTOL and the Hebrew verb
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:56:16 -0600

Hello Isaac:

a. If, say, in 11 a.d., in er-retz yis-ra-el ..., one million people
spoke to and communicated with, one another, via the very same hebrew
language, effortlessly and without consciously thinking about
it; ...... from goat herder to scribe; from vegetable seller to king;

b. If essentially, all speakers of the language could understand the
language of the isaiah scroll read to them (much as english speakers today
understand the language flowing out of the box called the television);

c. then a basic misunderstanding has arisen in 2011 a.d., about the nature
of the masoretic text. That written document may well involve a complex
code; but the language (subject matter) that it encodes .... is not.

Perhaps it's just my chronic misunderstanding .... of the big difference
between writing system and language. But nevertheless .... as you suggest
implicitly, the language revealed by the writing system needs to be
simplified; for the complexity of the latter does not equal the complexity
of the former.

regards,

fred burlingame