b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qatal-wayiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qatal-wayiqtol
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 19:29:51 -0600

Hello Isaac;

Thanks for your educational comments.

Let me see if I understand.

1. The fully regimented and structured, spoken hebrew language today,
likely resembles the regimented and structured, spoken hebrew language of
yesterday, by way of necessity.

2. The written hebrew language of yesterday (masoretic text), likely does
not represent the hebrew spoken language of yesterday (300 b.c.), because
of the written language's less structured and regimented form; in
particular, the suffixed and prefixed verb forms, and corresponding
redundant and various usages.

3. Different geographic dialects may have separately contributed to the
written form of the language in ancient times. This circumstance may account
for the redundancy in the verb forms.

4. But what then happens in 11 a.d., when the leader of the assembly stands
up and reads a passage from the scroll of isaiah? Does the assembled
congregation follow along with limited comprehension, and more as an act of
worship? And then, after the meeting, persons desiring complete
understanding, sit down and re-read the text; or discuss it with others? Is
that the experience today, when the text is read to the assembly? A
completely different experience for the listeners, in terms of
comprehension, than conversational hebrew?

5. And if your opinion is correct, do not all of the theories accounting for
differences between verb forms in the masoretic text .... become moot?

6. In conclusion, for the written expression of the language known as
masoretic text, context, rather than verb form, rules the day? Suffixed
verbs may frequently indicate past tense. Prefixed verbs may often indicate
future tense. But context always makes the final decision on tense, aspect,
etc.?

regards,

fred burlingame