b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>, fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 01:36:55 -0300

here, unlike fred's example, the scribe had to choose between two different
nikuds for the same exact word:
the neutral KAL and the more emphatic PIEL.   i figure the scribe's logic was
this:

in isaiah, god breaks. using PIEL might imply that god needed to make an
effort, so kal was used.

in exodus, the hail breaks the trees. to make the breaking effect more
dramatic, the more emphatic
piel was used.

nir cohen

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:35:57 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote