b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Are they synonyms?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Are they synonyms?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:31:35 -0500

The root G$M is a member of the family of roots
*GDM, GZM, G$M
XSM, X$M, XTM
QDM, QTM, QSM
Later, Hebrew produced (following the Arabic) from the root G$M also the adjective GA$M-IY, 'substantial, material' (as opposed to RUX- ANIY, 'spiritual'). I think that GE$EM is what we call today condensation (as opposed to vapor), or even the heavy clouds themselves (in English too, 'cloud' is related to clod and clot). MATAR is, methinks, 'sprinkle', LE-HA-MTIYR being 'to sprinkle, to spray'.
Nowadays MA-MTER-AH is a sprinkler, and MITR-IYAH (not GI$M-IYAH) is an umbrella.

Isaac Fried, Boston University