b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] root or suffix?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] root or suffix?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 20:40:47 -0500

The word KLIY is of the formation CCIY [ C = consonant] as are as are: BKIY, GDIY, DLIY, PRIY, CBIY, $TIY, etc. They are, in my opinion, of the adjectival construct root+ the appended personal pronoun HIY) [ ) = aleph] for the thing itself. The word $)ER that you mention is of form C)EC, as are: B)ER, Z)EB, K)EB, P)ER, C)EL, R) EM, etc, which include, in my opinion, the internal personal pronoun HIY), for the thing itself, and terminate in a consonant.
The interesting thing about Esther 1:22 is that the T of KI-KTAB-AH is missing a dagesh.
I am afraid that if you mention KILYAH in any coffee house in Tel Aviv they may think that you desire a roasted kidney (and if you decide to pedantically bark the mapik-ed H they may think that you have a throat problem), and who knows what they may think about K:LIYFH, so better say HA-KLIY $EL-AH.

Isaac Fried, Boston University