b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] pairs with final h

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] pairs with final h
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 13:02:38 -0300

pere,

i have addressed this in another email on your question last week which maybe
you did not get (i will look for a copy).  meanwhile, summarizing all the
answers so far, it appears that (in the case of nouns, not verbs) NO pair is
an exact match. the pair with final H is as a rule a variant on the one
without H. actually, "orah" is used in esther for "happiness" and not "or",
so it is far from being a perfect match.

the closest pair is LAIL and LAILAH, (both in masculine!) with lailah
(gen1:5) as the main word.  here i cannot explain the relation between the
two words.

it is interesting that the plural form in some of the cases (or/orah,
lail/lailah)
is the same: orot, leilot.

also in my list at least
> *. qodesh, qdushah
> *. esh, isheh!!! vaikra 22:8, 23:25 (both feminine, plural: ishim)
> *. nexoshet, nexusha naikra 25:19 (both feminine! plural: nexushtaim?)
may be close or identical. also geva' and giv'ah. also ra' (as in "la'asot
hara' ", and only in the singular) and ra'ah (plural: ra'ot). maybe the
difficulty with the plural was the origin for some of these pairs.

it is difficult, usually, to confirm EXACT meaning for a pair of words,
especially when usually one of the two words is rare and might
have had a slightly different connotation in the past. for example, isheh may
be restricted to sacrifice, in which case isaac fried might interpret the
final H as referring to god.

regards
nir cohen

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:32:14 +0100, Pere Porta wrote