b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] pairs with final h

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'Pere Porta'" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>, "'Nir cohen - Prof. Mat.'" <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] pairs with final h
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 07:26:36 -0500

Pere, perhaps that is what you meant to find, but your question was whether
the addition of the He had a significance. Now what you are changing the
question to is: are there other word pairs where the Western languages do not
separate out the semantic domains?

My impression (although the sample size of three instances for )WRFH is
extremely small) is that the He is probably generalizing the concept of )WR,
but our Western languages do not have a way to do that with the concept
"light". Instances where one language distinguishes between aspects of
semantic domains and another does not differentiate is very common. If there
are other cases where the Western languages are also deficient in a
distinction made by the Hebrew, they would be purely accidental. The
situation(s) do not say anything about the Hebrew form or concepts.

In answer to your original question, yes, the addition of final He does
appear to have significance. In answer to your second, even if other pairs
which are translated exactly as synonyms could be found, they would just be
accidents of the development of the Western languages into which the Hebrew
is translated.

Hope this helps,

Paul Zellmer