b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] foxes and torches

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] foxes and torches
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 23:24:53 -0800 (PST)

Nir,

You may very well be correct that Samson chose the fox (ShW\L) for its
similarity to the Arabic word meaning torch (Sh\L).  However, I do not think
they are etymologically connected in the way that you suggest "that there is
some similarity between the shape of the torch fire and the fox tail, giving
an ancient common semitic word,"  Rather I believe the etymological
connection is as follows:

both words are expansions of the word Sh\(H) (ultimately derived from ShW\)

In Arabic = spread, diffuse, scatter, disperse > radiate, beam > flash up
             with the word for torch (also set ablaze, ignite, kindle etc)
coming from "flash up"

In Hebrew = to make smooth, daub, spread over
             with fox (Shu\L), path (MSh\oL), palm / arch of foot (Sh\uLh)
all meaning smooth

Considering the th --> sh transformation, I suggest that the original
consonant was Sh, some words remained Sh and others transformed from Sh > Th.

As to which came first, I would venture a guess and say that if there was a
Hebrew form of Sh\ and Sh\L meaning flash up, set ablaze and torch simply
unattested in our limited Hebrew source material then it is impossible to say
which came first.  If however no such forms exist in Hebrew and never have,
then fox came first and was present in the shared protosemitic language.
When the different dialects separated later becoming separate languages fox
was already present in both.  However in this scenario Sh\ and Sh\L meaning
flash up, set ablaze and torch developed in Arabic after Hebrew had already
distinquished itself.

Thanks for your time,
David Kolinsky
Monterey CA