b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What does H add?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Garth Grenache <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What does H add?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:20:52 +1100

Hi Paul,

I think we are in agreement :) Whilst I have witnessed some insisting that
there are as many syllables as consonants.

I'd like to suggest a modification in terminology, and then reveal why:

*Root* is use in Semitic linguistics refers just to three consonants and
their meaning, without the vowels.
A root is not a word: it can be abstracted from a word. Katab is a verb, and
KTB is the root.

*stem* is a unit of a word to which a prefix or suffix can be added.

Using these terms, 'adamah may have been formed by addition of -ah to the
stem 'adam.

On the other hand, some pairs words may actually have a different stem, but
when written in consonants may seem to be identical except for a final
additional consonant in one of the words. Such a pair may have a structure
like this: CV-CVC, and CVC-CV -both having two syllables.

It's quite possible that such examples exist where the final vowel of a new
word was not appended to another word of one less syllable.

Garth.

> Garth,
>
> What you say about the comparison of number of syllables to consonants is
> true. There are not as many syllables as consonants. Roots are generally
> triliteral, and root words are generally two-syllabic.
>
> Your recognition about mater lectionis (you could have also added the final
> aleph to your list) were used to result in words that vocally end in CV is
> also correct. But CV is still a syllable, is it not? Linguistically, in
> general, the definition of syllable count is the number of *vowel* sounds,
> especially if you count a diphthong as a single vowel sound.
>
> The thread is not about words that just end in H. Without getting into the
> base question concerning synonymous meanings, it is a comparison between
> roots and roots with an appended H. How many syllables do you see in when H
> is added to )DM, yielding )DMH? I count two in the root and three in the
> appended form, the last one being vocally open (although, in written form,
> it would be considered closed). In )WR-)WRH, would you not agree that we
> have one syllable in the root and two in the appended form? So, regardless
> of whether you consider the addition to be a qamets (CV) which required a
> mater lectionis to mark it in the unpointed text or a qamets-he (CVC) in
> which the H closes the syllable, we are still adding a syllable to the word,
> right?
>
> Paul Zellmer
---
Garth> Hang on a minute friends: