b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] continuum of dialects

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] continuum of dialects
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:51:29 -0600

Hello Uzi;

the entire question is not whether hebrew was spoken, but what was the
prevalence of the language in the region in 882 b.c., ... approximately ...

a. 1 percent of the population;

b. 10 percent of the population;

c. 100 percent of the population?

or to put it another way; what was the language of the gov't; of the
priests; of the aristocracy; of the peasants on the street; of the middle
class; .... of lord & master to the servant in the home?

regards,

fred burlingame