b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:46:47 -0600

Hello Yigal:

You make some good points.

1. I stand corrected about מלל .

2. But let's move to the next relevant word in numbers 36:1:

a. hebrew: הנשאים ; and

b. aramaic: רברביא .

I can anticipate your response that hebrew enjoys a similar root word to the
above aramaic word. I would observe however, that we are not describing a
person reading and examining the written text, slowly at 0.5 miles per hour.
Rather we are talking about a person on the street or in synagogue hearing
the words stream together at 35 miles per hour. That difference presents a
distinction in my humble opinion, especially when all the nuanced
differences in words and verb conjugation (however, similar they may appear
in print or on reflection) become considered. I just don't see a person
fluent in hebrew capturing spoken (versus written) aramaic.

3. I can understand how continuing research may invalidate older texts of
history. But has time and research invalidated this author's monumental
work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_the_Decline_and_Fall_of_the_Roman_Empire

I don't think so. And likewise, the writings of Moses Segal and Meyer Waxman
enjoy a lot of continuing vitality today, despite the passage of time and
the discovery of new facts, such as dead sea scrolls.

regards,

fred burlingame