b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] be-ne vs. ve-ne

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'Hebrew List' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] be-ne vs. ve-ne
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:47:13 -0500

Fred,

Your follow-on question is looking at language somewhat backwards. Language
is spoken first, and then written. If someone is truly fluent in the
language of the Hebrew Bible, that would imply that that person can not only
read and pronounce the text, but generate conversation in that language with
natural pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary. For such a person, the words
of the written text would only be symbols to indicate what vocal sounds would
be made if the message were being spoken.

Ari's rules come from analyses made of the actual text. They were not made
up first, and then applied to the text. So all four rules would not even be
consciously thought of by a truly fluent speaker, any more than you are
consciously thinking of the numerous rules of grammar and pronunciation of
the English language as you read this.

To put this in more technical terminology, your stated opinion of your own
question looks at the Masoretic markings as being prescriptive when they were
actually descriptive. They were following the sounds of the language as they
actually heard, without regard for *why* the sounds were pronounced that way.

Therefore, for the dialect that the Masoretes were reducing to writing, the
marks reflect very accurately how the language would have been spoken,
whether in the formal setting or outside.

The ones that I know who seem to approach true fluency in Masoretic Hebrew
are not average, so I don't know how to answer that area of your question.
But they can take the consonantal text and consistently read it out loud with
the same pronunciation as is reflected in the pointed text.

Hope this helps,

Paul Zellmer