b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 8:27 - how much less this house that I have builded (interrogative)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 8:27 - how much less this house that I have builded (interrogative)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:09:11 -0500

What double negative?

"Less" is not a negating word, even in English. And in the Hebrew, אף is
not a negative either. Instead, it is frequently used (as in this case) to
present an a fortiori argument--"how much more" when following positive
statements and "how much less" when following negative ones. (Cf. TWOT 142)
It is not a negative concept.

Nor, Steven, is it an interrogative marker, although the English syntax
allows a question (or an exclamation, as you noted from Chronicles) to
express the intensification of concept that the Hebrew text does convey.

Paul Zellmer