b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] olam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "fred burlingame" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>, "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] olam
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:47:42 +0100

From: "fred burlingame" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>

theology can attach to all things.

in so far as you can divorce theology from any thing, however, so can i.

i suggested hebrew was a time based language. you contested that conclusion.
***
This conclusion has already been challenged in the past, but without any particular substantiation.
I'm still waiting for any evidence.
A.
***

i responded with comments describing our universe as one consisting of three
dimensions of space and one of time. I then compared it to another possible
universe that possesses not those dimensions. that's not theology. that's
just discussion of different universes.
***
Actually it can also be different theories about the same universe.
A.
***

linguistics includes the meaning of words.
***
I'd rather say: no, it doesn't.
Semantics is vaster than linguistics, and I tend to think that they are better kept at a short distance of each other.
A.
***

my comments on the
inapplicability of the hebrew language word meanings to any universe other
than a time based universe, represent linguistics, not theology.
***
I don't think it's linguistics,
sounds more like a kind of logicist prejudice.
Linguistics usually only badly conforms to logics.
A.
***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_(linguistics)
***
Certainly a bit superficial.
A.
***

On 12/19/10, fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com> wrote:

> The structure of aramaic, and cousin biblical hebrew, is designed for > use
in
> our four dimensional world of space//time; a world of physicality
> and constant change. The language structure is not equipped to
participate
> in some other dimensional universe, bereft of space & time. The
vocabulary
> suite results from & speaks to our material world.
>
> hence, when isaiah speaks of ארץ and שמים and ימות and ימים ; and when
> daniel talks of מלכו , that language represents a language of four
> dimensional space/time; not some other dimensional universe. "land;"
> "sky;" "die" and "day" imply boundaries; boundaries of space; > boundaries
of
> change; boundaries of time. These words are incompetent to express a
world,
> a universe, where nothing changes and nothing is possessed of
physicality;
> in other words the absence of space/time.
>
> and if aramaic and hebrew verbs incompetent to express completed > action,
> then everyone in the masoretic text both alive and dead,
> simultaneously, today.

***
(1)To have words for time and death, or a wide array of words with "death" semantemes like kill, slay, decease, etc. or (2) That the speakers understand what a boundary is has nothing to do with (3) to have tenses or aspects which express completed action.
The reasoning is clearly false.
A.
***