b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] pere's question on he/she/him/her

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] pere's question on he/she/him/her
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 06:44:21 +0100

Nir,
thank you for your kind explanation.
But I'd prefer a more direct and precise answer.
My question is really not on the Hebrew but on the English as this is
intended to, so to say, literally translate the Hebrew:

---In Gn 37:4 we have DABRWO, to speak him/it. No problem with the English
because the suffix -WO plays the part of the object and not of the subject.

---But in Ex 34:29 we have B'DABRWO. Putting aside preposition B, we have
the same word.

Now, at literally translating it to the English, which is the right form:

1. (in) the fact/act of HE to speak
2. (in) the fact/act of HIM to speak?

Remark: here in Ex 34:29 the suffix WO plays the part of the subject (and
not the part of the object as it was the case in Gn 37:4).

This is my question.
Remark that I'm asking on the English rather than on the Hebrew (I'm not a
native english-speaking person...)

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)