b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] on eternity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'Isaac Fried'" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, "'Nir cohen - Prof. Mat.'" <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] on eternity
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:48:53 -0500

As Hebrew and Arabic are both Semitic, there is a similarity between a
number of the roots. Where the roots are similar, the root letters tend to
have a one-to-one relationship. My term, "equivalent," refers to which
letter is generally used in similar roots when the initial letter of kh'alad
is found in Arabic. More specifically, does kh'alad start with a kaaf, kha,
or qaaf. If memory serves me right, it starts with kaaf, which, in similar
roots between the two languages, is the equivalent of the Hebrew kaf.

More generally, through comparative linguistics. J

Paul Zellmer