b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] on eternity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] on eternity
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:36:42 -0500

The Hebrew root is not isolated, it is not a GALMUD גלמוד ; it has an extended family. It appears to me that the root XLD חלד is a variant of
גלד, גלש
חלד, חלז, חלט, חלץ, חלש
*קלד, קלט, קלס, קלש
and that XLD means essentially 'encrusted, solid'. It is not absolutely clear what the biblical XOLED is, but it is possibly an encrusted or shelled animal, or reptile, such as our CAB צב or XILAZON חלזון from the root חלז (or possibly GALASH), that is enclosed in a GELED גלד shell, from which it NEXLAC נחלץ and into which it NIQLAT נקלט
The post-biblical XALUDAH (possibly influenced by Greek) is an oxide GELED or tarnish. It appears to me related to XELAH חלאה

Isaac Fried, Boston university