b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] DSS text request

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] DSS text request
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:06:59 +0000

Hi,

a couple of weeks back I had the opportunity to read through some translated
dead sea scroll texts and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a
few questions this experience inspired.

1) One document (i think it was either the Damascus document or the
community scroll) had lines talking a prohibition of taking your livestock
out of a pit on the sabbath day and a command to love you neighbour as
yourself. The parallels to be found in the NT are strikingly obvious. I was
wondering if anybody has the original Hebrew text of these two lines or any
comments on the linguistic relationship with the Greek equivalents in the
NT.

2) I vaguely remember also seeing a definition of a sabbath days journey
i.e. a specific maximum distance somebody could travel. Does anybody know
any similar comments that could predate the Qumran community?

3) There were some portions of documents concerning Enoch. I was wondering
if the connection between a possible source for Jude's comments about Enoch
in the NT has ever been made or some kind of relevant linguistic analysis?

Just throwing it all out there. All constructive comments both off or on
list welcome.

James

  • [b-hebrew] DSS text request, James Christian, 12/16/2010