b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Both right?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Both right?
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:21:44 +0200

Isaac, once again, the Hebrew Language Academy is the farthest thing possible
from a rabbinic institution. It is totally academic, and has absolutely no
pretentions to any religious authority.

You are correct, however, on one point. The Hebrew Language Academy has
absolutely no authority to "rule" on the "correctness" of biblical Hebrew.
Nor does it attempt to. It does publish various studies made by its
individual members, each a recognized authority in his or her own academic
field. Where the Hebrew Language Academy does set rules is for modern Hebrew,
as the official language of the State of Israel. This is part of its mandate,
as laid out in its government-given charter. The rules that it sets out are
binding on official government offices and the Israeli education system;
anyone else can and does continue to speak and to write as they wish.

Please stop making claims on matters that you refuse to first check out.

Yigal Levin