b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Both right?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Both right?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 06:32:03 -0500

1. A curious question. What do you mean by "are both forms right?", is the HB wrong?
2. I think that the dagesh preceded the NIYKUD. An unusual dagesh means, in my opinion, that the NAKDAN (or NAKDANIYM) decided to override an existing reading tradition.
2. A dagesh is expected after a QUBUC in a letter not marked by a Schwa.
3. Dr. SHAUL BARQALIY in his, widely used, "the complete table of names"
דר שאול ברקלי: לוח השמות השלם
brings both forms.
4. The Hebrew "Academy" has no authority to dictate right and wrong (even though they pretend to have it, speaking grandiosely about their "decisions" in this or that matter). Being a rabbinical institution they go out, anyway, from the assumption that the NIYKUD was handed down to Moses on mount Sinai.

Isaac Fried, Boston University