b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] HALOT Etymologies

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] HALOT Etymologies
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 06:20:53 +0200

I've actually never been asked that particular question, but if I was to be
asked, and since I'm not an expert on Hurrian toponyms, I’d tell the student
to look it up. HALOT would obviously be one source that I'd refer him to, but
there are a dozen other lexica and dictionaries and encyclopedias that are
much more up-to-date. I'd also suggest that the name is a play on the word
"Rasha'", "evil", befitting the king of evil Gomorra. And I'd readily admit
that I don't really know for sure.

End of discussion for me.

Yigal Levin