b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] HALOT Etymologies

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] HALOT Etymologies
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:51:18 EST

Professor Yigal Levin:

You wrote: “Who in the world said that HALOT was perfect? But as Isaac
said, etymologies of names is often problematic. The names you list below are
obviously not Hebrew. If you are now going to tell us that in Hurrian they
all make sense and that they are all pinpoint accurate in the fourteenth
century BCE, please don’t bother. We believe you.”

That is the greatest compliment I ever got in my entire life.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois