b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] art vs. science

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] art vs. science
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:38:53 -0500

As one who has had the privilege of participating in taking the Hebrew Bible
and translating it into a non-indo-European language, I cannot disagree more
strongly. The required word studies have resulted in both basic meaning and
extended meanings of every word that I have encountered, and these have been
bounced off of and checked by the scholarship. Even this list helped with
some of those studies and checks.

This is why I enjoy being a part of this group. If I were of the opinion
expressed in this posting, I would throw up my hands and move on to more
profitable things. If BH study has no firm results, why bother? But it does
have firm results, so I continue to try to learn.

Paul Zellmer