b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] new crackpot idea - Ps.22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] new crackpot idea - Ps.22
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:38:47 +0000

I have another alternative explanation of Ps. 22. I don't think it is right,
but it is slightly interesting.

In Psalm 22:7, the writer says he is a worm and not a man, and in Ps.22:30 he
calls people who die "descenders of dust." Ps. 22:16 says "...and You have
put me to the dust of death because dogs have surrounded me. Companies of
evildoers have surrounded me. My hands and my feet dug. I will count all of
my bones."

Maybe he is saying that he is like a worm digging into the dust with his
hands and feet (which worms don't have) because he is dying and beginning to
descend into the dust of death. Then he says he will count his bones which
worms also don't have. I guess it does not have to be literal if you don't
literally consider yourself a worm.

Instead of saying his hands and feet were dug, they were the ones digging.

Kenneth Greifer