b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yemenite Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Arnaud Fournet <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yemenite Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:11:17 -0700

Anraud:

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Arnaud Fournet
<fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>wrote:

> From: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
>

>> Sure it's possible. Let's see. Non-daghes daleth is pronounced [d] in
> Ashkenazic. German, Polish, Lithuanian, Russian &c. have no phoneme [ð].
> Yememite Hebrew has [ð] for non-daghesh daleth. Arabic had/has a phoneme
> [ð]. It *could* be coincidence...
>
> ***
> yes there are plenty of coincidences.
> French is the only Romance language with ö and ü, next to a Germanic
> language with ö and ü, and next to a Uralic language with ö and ü.
> I don't think this is anything but a chance coincidence.

> ***

You’re joking, right? After all the time that France was ruled by Germans,
even the name “France” is a German word.

French and German are the only two languages that I know (I don’t know more
than a few languages) that say “I am gone” (Ich bin gegangen, Je suis parti)
instead of “I have gone”.

Actually, this is a pretty good example of why we think that Masoretic
Hebrew reflects a millennium of accumulated mispronunciations, which is why
we believe if Elijah were to arrive to drink his cup, he most likely would
understand very little, if any, of modern Israeli.