b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:23:21 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: Isaac Fried
To: Arnaud Fournet
Cc: Hebrew List
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 3:59 PM

All I can say is that ברא appears to me a variant of פרא, פרה, פרע, 'disperse, scatter, strew, disseminate'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
***

How is this relevant even marginally?? ??
As far as the first nanosecond is concerned?

By the way,
as it happens that I am a macro-comparative linguist,
I agree that Semitic, and this includes in my opinion Ancient Hebrew (with all due respect to your Bostonesque omni-pan-chronic changes-never-happened-nor-started once-and-for-all Hebrew), did not have a clear phonological distinction between voiced and voiceless phonemes.

There's quite a lot of data, in classical Arabic as well, to support that conclusion...

So I would tend to agree that you are putting the finger on a real issue.
Voiced and voiceless phonemes do not really contrast in Semitic.
Fully agreed (as far as I'm concerned).

If you have anything else to say, this is not a problem with me.
I'm really sorry if this is "all [you] can say",
I disagree.There's a lot more to say.

Kisseez
(soft ones, as you can't stand harder ones apparently).

A.F
***