b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>, "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:49:54 -0500

From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 9:00 AM
To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
Cc: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>

1. Moses was a כבד פה וכבד לשון (stutterer?), but he wrote superb Hebrew that survived to this day.

If an historical character upon which the Exodus Narrative was framed actually existed, aren't any of the pure speculations on the time frame prior to the emergence of Hebrew? Particularly the "superb Hebrew" of the Pentateuch?

2. Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose. Of course Hebrew "changed", yet it is still, methinks (Gilad Zuckerman notwithstanding), the same Hebrew. To wit:
בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ
is still "modern" Hebrew, except that the modern speaker would have used the less lofty BA-HATXALAH for בראשית and ASAH for ברא (I am not sure how it is stated in the recently published "translation" of the Hebrew bible into mundane Hebrew.) Yet, we still don't understand what really took place at the first nanosecond of "creation".

In the first trillionth of a second of the "Big Bang," helium atoms fused from hydrogen. Of course that was 13.75 +/- .17 billion years ago. It make me feel better about turning 70 today.

2. "problems that speakers of modern Hebrew have understanding the biblical text" is because the text is occasionally ambiguous or the context not clear. We all have problems with some biblical passages. Speakers of "modern" Hebrew have the same (or maybe even greater) understanding problems with present-day secular Hebrew poetry.

I cannot get a handle on the proposition that modern Hebrew is virtually unchanged since the Bronze Age. Languages are cultural and cultures are never static.

Jack Kilmon
San Antonio, TX

Isaac Fried, Boston University