b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jonah time travel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jonah time travel
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:27:13 -0500

Karl:

Time and eternity, in my humble opinion, represent two mutually exclusive
universes or dimensions.

One dimension of time and three dimensions of space join together as one
physical, particulate, commodity that we identify as our universe. Einstein
proved that conclusion in his solution to the differential equation
describing the precession of the orbit of mercury about the sun.

Eternity on the other hand, involves an entirely different universe or
dimension alien to and separate from time. Solomon appears to speak to
eternity in Ecclesiastes 3:14-15. And Moses also addresses eternity in
Deuteronomy 4:15-19. These verses seem to imply that God (in eternity),
apparently, continually and always, experiences all thoughts, words, deeds
and actions of all matter (in space/time) at all times (past, present and
future). That kind of divinity (if It exists) transcends our ability to
describe or assess it (aka eternity). The personal hebrew name of God given
to Moses also implies eternity.

The hebrew word transliterated as "olam" does not address itself in the
hebrew text to eternity, but rather only to time. Witness for example, but
without limitation, the "olam" lifetime of a slave. Exodus 21:5-6.

And hence, Daniel 12:2 does not speak to eternity, but rather to an olam of
time.

Regards,

fred burlingame