b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] TMR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] TMR
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:50:15 -0400

Ah, and how could I forget ZMR (of which we have ZMORAH זמורה 'twig').

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Oct 14, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Isaac Fried wrote:

Indeed, if the initial T in TMR is radical, then it appears to me to be of the family of roots CMR (of which we have CAMERET צמרת 'tree top'), SMR (of which we have MA-SMER 'nail'), SHMR (of which we have SHAMIR שמיר).
Otherwise, the initial T-, or TA-, is possibly the attached personal pronoun ATAH (אתה) which is used to turn the root MR into the name TA-MAR ('you are MAR'). I don't think that this MAR is here in the sense of 'bitter', but is rather here merely a short form of AMIR (אמיר 'upper branches').
Notice that several tree names in the TANAK have this dual form:
TAMAR - MOR
TIRZAH (TIRCAH?) -EREZ
TOREN - OREN
TA'ASHUR - ASHERAH